Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guest Post: Mets and Madoff

As football season draws to a close, Drawing Contact looks forward to the rest of basketball season and, of course, that magical summer of baseball coming up. Let's be honest, there are few things better on a weekend afternoon in the summer than being at the ballpark with friends, enjoying some over-priced food and really over-priced beers watching America's favorite past-time: greed.


*vinyl scratch*


Yeah, I said it. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love baseball. However, there is positively no country for franchises to profit from maintaining the streak for most consecutive losing seasons. Baseball financials have always been a bit shady, from top to bottom, and no where is this more the case than with the New York Mets. Below are some thoughts from good friend, loyal reader and suffering Mets fan, @JasonIsaacs1.

***
Recently, it was reported that Fred Wilpon, Chairman and CEO of the New York Mets was close friends with Ponzi scheme artist, Bernie Madoff. Madoff played a large role in big free agent deals during the last 15 years and was usually present during contract negotiations. Today, Mets owner’s Wilpon and President Saul Katz denied any allegations that they knew about the scheme and the $300 million profit the Mets somehow were able to make from it prior to Madoff’s arrest in late 2008.

It is time for a change. Wilpon’s access to the Mets should be revoked. Granted Enron had issues of its own but haven’t we learned from that already?? Seriously, dude.

The Mets are now looking to sell 25% of their shares (shout out to Mark Cuban). And until the time they settle this debacle I can only imagine what it will mean for the fans: higher ticket prices, $7.50 hot dogs and (dare I say) $11 Bud Lights. This does not bode well for me as a poor pseudo-college student who will be even poorer come baseball season when I do not have a job at all. So I say this, and I would like all Mets fans join in (all 3 of us):

Dear Mets:

Why do you build me up? Buttercup just to let me down….and make me pay more? And the worst of all, you never come through when you say you will. But I love you still.

Love,

A Once Again Disappointed Mets Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment